Okay, it’s another sleeveless top :). This time, it’s a free pattern from Workroom Social. Tate top is a racerback tank top with high neckline, round or squared racerback, neckline darts and centre back zipper. I made a muslin using the cropped version with round racerback and I liked the fit, the cropped version was too short though even for my high-waisted skirts so next time I will lengthen it a bit.
Instructions were not included but it was quite easy to construct if you’ve made a few tops before. I made a tunic-length size 8 based on the final measurements and chopped off around 2 inches before hemming. I planned to pattern match the centre back seams but due to a few mistakes while cutting, it didn’t happen.
Top Pattern: Tate top pattern from Workroom Social
Fabric: Ephemera in Mustard – Cotton + Steel double gauze fabric bought at my local online fabric shop The Laughing House for around 23 dollars per yard. I used less than 1.5 yards.
Sizing: 8 – final measurement (bust 36.5)
Design Changes: Used french seams on the shoulder and side seams, overlocked the centre seam, chopped off around 2 inches before hemming, used hook and eye instead of zipper (basically copy Elizabeth’s top, I actually want a gingham like hers)
The Verdict: I love it! As you can see in the photos, I wore it last weekend when we took Muppet to Universal Studios for the first time. (A friend gave us free tickets!) The fabric was really soft and I love the colourful uneven stripes, we got wet on the rides a few times during the day and it still looked ok for the photos.
I’ve been eyeing this pattern for a while now, and finally I bought it during a 50% off sale. The description of the dress says “Charlie was inspired by the adorable waist dresses Lucy and Sally wore in the Charlie Brown comic books. Charlie’s swingy silhoutte and oh-so-cute flounce skirt is said to cause spontaneous twirling“. I definitely agree! I’ve seen a lot of cute Charlie dresses like this purple beauty, this pretty floral one, and this Nani Iro dress that makes me want to sew one in my size.
The dress was quite easy to construct, attaching the bias facings for the neck and armholes took the longest time for me. And choosing the back button haha. This was the first time I made a button loop and it was nice to try something new that is not too intimidating. I only wished I’ve made an effort to pattern match the back seams but all in all I’m very happy with this dress.
Pattern: Charlie dress PDF pattern by Mingo and Grace (I bought during a flash sale 50% off so I got this pattern for 5 usd)
Fabric: Gigi in Marseille – Swirly Girl Design – Michael Miller Fabric quilting cotton fabric bought at my local online fabric shop The Laughing House at around 14 sgd per yard. I bought 1.5 meters but I think I only used a yard so I can still make another top or skirt out of it 🙂 / Store bought yellow bias tape
Design Changes: Used bias tape for the hem’s dress. I didn’t follow the instructions in attaching the bias tape on flat for the armholes. Instead, I sewed the side seams first and suffered a lot trying to attach the bias tape with the the tiny, tiny armholes. Argh. Next time, I promise to follow instructions.
The Verdict: I love it and she loves it! I want to make a few more. I think it’s the ideal pattern to make dresses as gifts for my niece and friends’ kids.