I can’t remember where I first saw the See Kate Sew’s Zippy top pattern but I immediately liked the top’s exposed zip on the back. I’ve always wanted to learn how to install an exposed zipper so this was an opportunity for me to learn a new technique, and the bonus was a cute simple pattern. Printing it was quite confusing though, I’ve used quite a number of PDF patterns and they usually have a test square so I can check if I printed it correctly but I couldn’t find it in this pattern. There were also no borders to make it easier to tape the pieces together.
I didn’t have small zippers in my stash so I just went for it and skipped the facing and zipper altogether and used bias bindings for the neckline. I love the kimono sleeves and I think this top is really cute if made with a soft and drapey fabric. I made my first Zippy top using a japanese voile fabric (1.5 yards) I got in Myanmar. It’s really super soft and I love the tiny green and yellow florals. I made a size Small and I thought it was a bit snug so I used the Medium for my next top.
For the second top, I used a japanese lawn fabric that I got again in Myanmar. The medium felt a bit loose though so finally I checked the pattern instructions. That’s when I realized that the seam allowance was supposed to be 3/8, I used 5/8 for both my first and second tops. Ugh, what a muppet.
And so I made a third top using Robert Kaufman’s Dot chambray (I bought a bolt of this last year) using size Small again but with the correct 3/8 seam allowance. This time, the fit is just nice. I still used french seams with the 3/8 allowance haha.
So that’s it, 3 new super wearable tops that I made in a week. That’s unheard of for me, but they are really easy to make especially if you skip the zipper and facings. I still want to try and install the exposed zip one day if I ever get the time to go to Spotlight or Chinatown. And to end this post, here are some mostly sewing-related photos from our Yangon, Myanmar trip a few weeks ago: