Okay, another easy breezy project here. I’m always on the lookout for a beginner’s pattern so when I saw Made by Rae’s cute Ruby Dress, I had to try it. The copycat me even bought that same Melody Miller’s Ruby Star Polka Dot arrow fabric so I’ll have my own arrow Ruby dress soon! Anyway back to this dress, I used a meter of medium weight, 57″ John Kaldor Leone Fabric in turquoise which has 55% ramie and 45% viscose. It was on sale for 6 quid a meter from Oakmount Hill fabric shop in Burnley (I know, I know I should have bought more). It’s my first time working with a ramie fabric, it feels and looks very similar to linen but compared to the Robert Kaufmann’s Brussels Washer linen which has 55% linen and 45% viscose that I used for my daughter’s apron last time, this fabric has a tighter weave and has more of a sheen to it. I think it’s a good match for the Ruby dress pattern.
I made it in size Small but when I tried the dress before applying the bias binding, the armholes felt a bit tight. I snipped the bottom part of the armholes a bit but I think it wasn’t enough because it still feels kind of tight, not uncomfortably tight so it’s still ok . I think I’ll trace the pattern again and use the size medium for the armholes. Other than that, it was very easy to make. The length is just nice (I’m 5’3″) and I love the generous 2-inch hem. For my next Ruby dress, I’ll definitely try the contrast yoke.