The Sally dress

A pink dress with mermaids and whales and other sea creatures? I was so sure she would love it. But she didn’t. She didn’t even want to try it on. Simon convinced her to wear it though, and she wore it when she watched “The Frog Prince” play with a friend last weekend. I took some photos before they left the house and I think it grew on her because she later told me she liked it. Whew!

I used the Sally dress pattern from luvinthemummyhood and it’s the first time I made a bodice lining, the pattern was quite straightforward but I got stuck trying to attach the bodice to the skirt, it actually took me days to figure it out haha. I made the size 3 for muppet (I just compared the finished bodice chest measurement with one of her dresses), and used exactly a yard of Sarah Jane’s Out to Sea Mermaid Play plus a half yard of white cotton voile for the bodice and pocket linings. I love how it turned out and I will definitely make a few more dresses out of this pattern, I would love to try the short sleeves for my next one.

20130915-180737.jpg

20130915-182528.jpg

20130915-184546.jpg

20130915-184605.jpg

20130915-184618.jpg

20130915-184635.jpg

In other news, my Anna pattern just arrived and that means I can join the BHL’s Anna sewalong. Yay!

20130915-184646.jpg

Advertisements

The Staple dress

I’m very happy with this dress that I’m wearing it to work today. I’ve seen so many beautiful versions of it like Meredith’s and Abbey’s and Rae’s that I finally bought the paper pattern last week. This is by the way April Rhodes’ The Staple dress pattern. I love it that she used nice thick white paper instead of tissue paper so it was so much easier to trace. It’s tagged as a beginner pattern and I learned new skills like shirring, pinked seams and hidden pockets! I worked on it for 3 nights (I’m very slow) and I was so nervous about the shirring that I was tempted to leave it out because I already liked the dress with a belt when I tried it on. I practiced a lot that the 10m reel was almost used up by the time I finish the dress and what worked for me (my machine’s a Brother NV30 and I I used Gutermann elastic thread) was giving it a bit of tension when I was winding the elastic thread in my bobbin. I tried at first winding the thread without stretching but it ended flat and didn’t gather at all. Anyway, I followed the pattern’s instructions and blasted the shirring with steam and the shirring gathered even more. I made 4 rows of shirring and I’ll probably try 6 rows on my next Staple to cinch in the waist more. I made a size S but I might  try the XS next time like Janey.

I got my fabric in Chinatown for 12 sgd a meter (it was the last 3.x meters) and the Auntie even gave me her sample square of the fabric which was around 20×20 inches and this is what I used for the neck and sleeve bindings. I think I have a leftover enough for another top and bias bindings. Yay! It’s the softest and silkiest fabric I’ve ever worked on, it’s even softer than voile but the selvedge just said 100% cotton made in Japan. Now that I’m wearing it, I can see that it creases on the skirt area but the pattern is quite busy so it’s ok and it sort of reminds of a Nani Iro Painting Muji fabric so yes I love it!

20130904-104154.jpg

20130904-104126.jpg


20130904-104218.jpg

20130904-104230.jpg

And here it is with a belt (I wish I had a yellow belt or any coloured belt) which is how I wore it to work today:

20130903-213711.jpg

I love love the drop hem!

20130904-104359.jpg

And some construction photo details:

20130903-134745.jpg

20130903-135832.jpg

shirring! (I might be confident enough soon to try Rae’s Washi dress)

20130903-135841.jpg

20130903-135849.jpg